Last updated on December 10th, 2019 at 04:44 am
In soups, kinds of pasta, dressings, and breakfasts pork sausage provides a rich and spicy flavor. To make your own pork sausage takes a modest bit of a deal to really make it from scratch.
It will make your pork sausage be tasty as well as be modified to your specific flavor buds. What’s more, you want; you will have the good amount of pork sausage to go around.
- Preparation: 10 Mins
- Cook: 30 Mins
- Ready in: 40 Mins
- Serving 2
Nutrition Per Serving
- 1 serving 2.67 oz. (76 g)
- Calories 229
- Total Fat 20 g 30%
- Saturated fat 7 g 35%
- Polyunsaturated fat 2.1 g
- Monounsaturated fat 9 g
- Cholesterol 54 mg 18%
- Sodium 644 mg 26%
- Potassium 144 mg 4%
- Total Carbohydrate 1.5 g 0%
- Dietary fiber 0 g 0%
- Sugar 0 g
- Protein 9 g 18%
- Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
- Calcium 0% Iron 4%
- Vitamin D 8% Vitamin B-6 5%
- Vitamin B-12 18% Magnesium 2%
- 2 Granny Smith Apples
- 1 Bulb Fennel (bulb to tip)
- 20 Fresh Basil Leaves
- 1/3 C. Golden Raisins
- 4 Whole, Peeled Garlic Cloves
- 1 Tbs Kosher Salt
- 2 Tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 Tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Tsp White Sugar
- 3lb Pork Butt (Sirloin Roast)
- 1lb Seasoning Bacon (because of the leaner pork used)
- (Other things you will want to have on hand: two large bowls, sharp knife, plastic wrap, cookie sheet, scale)
- Put bowls you will be using in the freezer while you cut the meat and vegetables into small pieces. Cut meat in 3/4″ pieces to avoid making your meat grinder that is used, overheat and warm the meat.
- Chill meat cuts for 30 minutes.
- Attach meat grinder to the mixer. Make sure to oil moving parts with vegetable oil.
When meat is chilled, turn on mixer to half power. Place clean, chilled bowl under meat grinder opening.
- Start inserting meat, spices, and vegetables. You will need to work quickly to keep the meat from warming up during the process.
- Run all ingredients through a meat grinder and place in freezer (with clean hands) to re-chill.
While meat is chilling, lay 2 pieces of plastic wrap across the counter. Overlap them slightly to create a temporary casing until frozen.
- Remove sausage and divide into 2 large sections.
- Place sausage in the middle of the side by side plastic wrap. Form into a tube shape. Wash your hands.
- Fold one side of the plastic wrap over the sausage and press roll back against itself remove air bubbles against the plastic wrap.
- Roll sausage in remaining plastic wrap and close the ends.
Refrigerate or freeze immediately.
When you make your own pork sausage, you are the one controlling the fat content. Pork Sausage with good flavor must contain a small amount of fat, around 12% is smart.
When you are grinding the meat yourself, you can choose better cuts of meat instead of meat that is already ground whereby it is unknown exactly what cuts of meat were used.