Boiled Gigot of Lamb with Capers Recipe
- 1 Leg of Mutton boned and rolled
- 2 large onions peeled and stuck with cloves
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 black peppers
- 1 sprig each of fresh parsley and thyme
- milk to cover
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley chopped
- Caper Sauce
- 2 teaspoons plain flour
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 3 teaspoons capers and a little juice
- 900Mls / 1 1/2 pints cooking juices
- salt amd peppers
- Trim the joint of any fat, Place it in deep saucepan and pour on the milk.
- Put in the onions, carrots herbs black peppers and salt I find that adding a little water makes the final sauce a little less rich.
- Cover and bring to the boil, simmer gently for 2 to 3 hours or until the meat is cooked.
- There should be no blood in the juices when you push a skewer into the middle of it.
- Take out the meat and keep it hot.
- Strain the stock and let it simmer for 10 min’ then reserve 900 Mls (1 1/2 Pints) for the sauce.
Slice the lamb quite thinly, count with the sauce and sprinkle on some fresh chopped parsley.
You can try this recipe too: Steve’s Recipes: Chicken Dumplings, Grilled Chicken Breasts, Scots Crumpets