Table of Contents
Cauliflower Broccoli Cheese
What do you say about cauliflower cheese? It’s the kind of dish I associate with growing up, however we didn’t usually get it growing up. I know the few times we did, I loved it!
For some reason it’s seen as unhealthy when in reality, it’s not that bad. Cheese is ok, milk is ok, and it has a little butter in it. If it gets the kids to eat their veges, hey, why not?
You melt a little butter. Add plain flour until it turns into a paste then add milk, a little at a time so it’s incorporated before adding the next slurp (do as I say, not as my photos show that I did)
Once you’ve got it to a slightly thick but still pourable consistency, add salt, pepper and mustard, to taste of course. Then you add your cheese. It can’t be a cheese sauce without cheese, can it?
While that’s been happening, I hope you’ve steamed your cauliflower and broccoli until they’re just a little less crunchy. You pop them in an oven safe tray.
Then spoon the delicious cheesy sauce all over the vegetables.
Sprinkle breadcrumbs and a little extra cheese on top before popping it in the oven for about 30 minutes, until the top is slightly golden and crunchy.
You can serve it with anything you like, but it goes great with a roast, corned beef (silverside) or with some additional ingredients, you could make this a meal in itself.
- 2T butter
- 1/8 C plain flower
- 1 1/2 C milk
- 1 t dijon mstard
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 C grated cheese + 2 T for sprinkling
- 2 T bread crumbs
- 2 heads of broccoli or cauliflower
- Preheat your oven to 180C (375F)
- Chop your vegetables into florets and steam until they’re just tender, they’ll cook more in the oven
- Melt butter in a saucepan
- Once fully melted, add flour and stir until a paste forms
- Slowly add milk a little at a time, making sure it’s fully incorporated before adding more
- Once all the milk has been added, add the mustard and salt and pepper to taste
- Add in the 1/3 C cheese and stir to combine, take it off the heat until ready to use
- Layer the vegetables in an oven proof tray and spoon the sauce over
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs and extra cheese on top & pop into the oven for 30 minutes
- For extra crispiness, use the grill to toast the top in the last five minutes
- Serve warm with what ever you please
You could add shredded chicken, extra vegetables (carrot, asparagus, spinach) or cooked lentils and make it a meal in itself.
Heart Healthy Pumpkin Flan
This recipe is from CanolaInfo as well as Cheryl Forberg, consulting dietitian to NBC’s “The Biggest Loser” as well as the James Beard award-winning recipe developer.
Makes 8 servings
- Canola oil in progress spray
- 3 eggs, omega-3-enriched if available
- 1 1/4 cups pumpkin puree
- 1/2 crater maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pristine vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon belligerent cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon belligerent ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon belligerent cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat milk, exhilarated until really hot
- Ground nutmeg for garnish
Adjust oven shelf to core position. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bring the quart of H2O to boiling. Coat 8 6-ounce custard cups or ramekins with in progress mist as well as set them in 13- by 9-inch baking pan.
In vast bowl, kick eggs slightly; supplement pumpkin purÃ©e, maple syrup, canola oil, vanilla, artificial flavouring as well as salt. Beat with mixer until blended thoroughly.
Mix in prohibited divert until blended. Pour 1/2 crater flan reduction in to any rebuilt ramekin. Carefully flow prohibited H2O in to baking vessel around ramekins.
Water should come up to turn of custard inside ramekins. Bake 40 to 45 mins or until set around the edges though still the small lax in center.
Remove from oven as well as right away mislay ramekins from H2O bath. Cool upon handle shelve to room temperature. Cover with cosmetic hang as well as refrigerate.
Serve cold as well as ornament with belligerent nutmeg. This dessert can be done up to 3 days in advance.
Per serving: 190 calories, 7 grams sum fat, 1.5 grams jam-packed fat, 110 milligrams cholesterol, 220 milligrams sodium, twenty-four grams carbohydrates, 2 grams fiber, 6 grams protein.