How to Use a Meat Slicer
Meat slicers basically operate on the same principles whether manual or automatic. They simply have blades that spin and slice meat stakes to the preferred size.
Automatic models, however, feature a number of improvements and are easier to use. We cannot deny the fact that these handy kitchen accessories are dangerous but when used properly, anyone would use them worry-free.
You just need to observe a number of precautions. In fact, most accidents occur when one is washing the slicer rather than using them.
Here are a few things you need to do before using a meat slicer. Ensure you have:
- Antibacterial soap
- Wrapping material
- Plastic gloves
Use the antibacterial soap to wash your hands. It is also advisable to inspect the machine to ensure it is in good condition. In case there are unusual sounds, you may consider finding a solution to the problem before proceeding. Once done, you are now ready to start:
Steps of use a meat slicer:
- Place the food you intend to slice on a food tray
- Move the clamp arm away from the slicer and place your food on the carriage. This hold the meat in place. Adjust the knob and choose your desired meat thickness.
- Depending on the model used, you may use a piece of wax paper to collect the sliced meat. Other models are integrated with a collection tray.
- Switch on the machine and move the bulk meat to the blades by pushing the handle. Begin by cutting one sample to determine whether that is the desired level of thickness.If it is not what you want, adjust the dial before proceeding.
- Now push the carriage back and forth over the rotating blades. Depending on the machine design, you may use your left hand to ensure the sliced cutlets fall right to where you want them.
- When you are done, turn off the slicer and adjust the blades to zero thickness. This helps to prevent accidental cuts to any other person that may use a meat slicer.
Note: Before buying a meat slicer, you can read our meat slicer reviews
Reference: Meat Slicer Training and Safety